Tuesday, October 13, 2009

home sweet hospital

i am here. in the very hospital we lost our girl in.

i am here for two weeks hospital bedrest before they bring henry early at 34 weeks.

so many mixed emotions.

i left our 4 yr old bawling, screaming and reaching for me in the driveway....i am blessed to have my mom here in town to take care of him, look after him and love on him in my absence...but there is nothing like feeling like you are abandoning one child for another. i can't explain it. it just hurts like hell. i lost it in front of him...i tried not to, but i couldn't fight it and the tears rolled. i lost it even more once ian and i were in the car.....sobbing, i looked at ian.....almost angry..."this better be worth it, God better let me bring his brother home to him..a baby in my arms.." i cried to my husband. i knew not to demand this of my God but God being God already knew my heart and i had to be honest and just get it out and vent.....i know He is in control and His will will be done....but all this anxiousness and fear is hard to bear not knowing the outcome....especially the outcome that we want.

ian and i rolled onto the fourth floor, ian with my suitcase, my cozy new blanket and pillow. "may we help you?"...i was going to say, "yes, you are expecting me...my name is blah, blah..."....my husband on the other hand says..."yes, we are here for camp preggers!"..."um, excuse me", the nurse says....i looked at her and told her that she would need to get used to having my silly husband around for two weeks...they all laughed at the desk and it broke the ice....sweet ian, always the comical ice breaker.

got settled in...put up some pictures and bible verses that my sweet amy friend crafted for my room...ian sat and watched our favorite show while he helped me pick out the menu choices for the week. he has to be the only person i know who LOVES hospital food. he always eats all my food when i am in the hospital and he gets so excited about it....

he finally had to leave as he was getting tired...we stood in my small room, hugged and he prayed over me. rubbed my bellybutton like he does now all the time and he was out the door....

i quickly got my jammies on and got in bed and on the laptop to stay busy...LOVE that we have wi fi here. i would go crazy without it.....

met my sweet nurse...who told me that she had lost her 15 year old son about eight years ago and understood a grief filled hole of a mother's heart....she told me she "gets it" and we bonded instantly...she actually is the spitting image of my best friend anne's mom, teenie (who is also at home with Jesus like syd)...could be her twin sister at least...so that made me feel at home instantly...i wanted to ask her to make me burnt popcorn and brownies after a while like teenie used to.

i slept the night with the tv on, in the background for noise. woke up off and on...but mostly slept. woke to vitals at 6am and up for the day....

so i am dealing a lot with ptsd from sydney's delivery and death...i have dealt with it some leading up to this time but stepping foot in the hospital here has definitely stirred the pot of memories and emotions....i was told to expect it..from my docs and my friends who have been here as well...but it flooded in like an old familiar, yet unwelcomed friend...

i will try to be upbeat and positive here. i will try and claim God's victory everyday in this, even when i am not feeling so strong. because i know He is there...He is here with me. however, i am not immune to the fear that creeps in...afraid to keep it to myself....always want to be encouraging. afraid sometimes to be brutally honest because i don't want to disappoint or let others down and especially dishonor my Lord...but i know that my God understands my fear and my anger and my doubts. He walks with me through it all and waits patiently as i wade through these tough waters. He is such a good and gentle God. He is so careful and merciful and the most freeing thing you can do is to be honest with Him and work through your "junk" with fear and trembling. with reverence and respect, but with truth. i know He will carry me through this. but i also know He already knows how hard this will be for me and He has gone before me and will not leave me alone.

our original plan for henry was to do an amnio at 34 weeks to check lung development. if all is ok, we would deliver that day...if not, we would wait one to two weeks and then deliver him then. however, my doctors together have decided that it is not safe to wait any longer than 34 weeks, regardless of lung development. my history of two placental abruptions, one resulting in a stillbirth has urged them along to the idea of "better safe than sorry". i will get another round of steroid shots this fri/sat to boost more development and then my doctors have scheduled a planned c-section for 34 weeks, next friday most likely to bring our boy into this world....he will be premature. he will face some challenges i am sure...i pray and have prayed for God to grow his lungs SUPERNATURALLY to be ready even at 34 weeks with no troubles. i have prayed for protection from a long NICU stay...but i know His ways are not mine and i am prepared for a long road ahead....but i do know He is able. so i will continue to pray as such.....

so please continue to pray for us...for me in the hospital....missing my family, worried about them and esp liam getting the flu, worried about henry all time and missing my baby girl all the while as well.....pray for my husband as he waits along with me in this thing but at home.....pray for financial supplication through more work for him in the coming weeks. pray for our insurance to go through. pray for my mom who has put her life on hold in texas to come out here and take care of our bubba and ian and help with the house...and me by visiting a lot!! pray for my doctors as they continue to watch me like a hawk, pray for wisdom for any decisions that need to be made on the fly...

i know henry is not sydney. i know He is doing a new work in me with this new child. yet, it so hard to balance the mixed emotions of anticipating one child while still missing and grieving another....henry will NOT replace her. he can't and he won't. i long to make others understand the hard split of emotions that is this grief while pregnant thing. many will tell me i am sure, to just be grateful for henry. not to look back but look forward to the future He has for us. do not complain about what you don't have when He has clearly blessed you currently with new life......i see that. BUT sydney is as much a part of me and my past and future as any of my other children. she is a part of me. i cannot breathe without thinking about her....so i will wait for our sweet boy, so excited to meet him....but know with my mother's heart that i cannot look at him without thinking about her. i imagine only a mom who lost one and had another might understand this tricky dance, but it's there nonetheless. and i will figure it out....

pray please for my heart as well as i struggle with the decision to have my tubes tied....i cannot in good conscience do this again. it is too dangerous. i almost died with sydney's delivery. i almost left my husband and son alone....we lost a baby after sydney..this journey with henry has been wrought with fear and careful medical attention, $$$$ and insurance woes and lots of anxiety. my doctors both have advised me to "stop" and let this be it...no matter what happens in two weeks...they do not advise me to do the pregnancy thing any longer....i understand the risks and the rollercoaster journey..i am glad to get off of it..however, the idea that my job as a woman to "create and birth life" would suddenly not exist anymore is hard to wrestle with. i would love more children....i would love to try for another girl....but i will not press my luck or push for my own desires. i will be thankful and grateful for the lot He has cast for me and appreciate the family he has blessed me with...for us, adoption is always an open door for us..in our hearts. should God decide to open that door for us down the road, we shall see.....but to sign the papers to cut me for good is hard. i will do it...but it still makes my heart hurt.....praying for peace about that as well.

so here we are....a long or short two weeks ahead...i pray. i pray i can make it to 34 weeks.....thank you all for your sweet encouragement and prayer and support and love....you will never know how much it means to not have to walk this alone.

16 comments:

Laura aka Mama Ham said...

I have been following your blog and am praying for you. I understand and know that our God is in control and your Sweet Sydney is sitting in His arms watching down on you today.

John Kincaid said...

I will be praying for you! If it were me, I would take more time to decide about the tubes. 33 weeks pregnant and all you have been through--it is not fair to have to decide right away. ((hugs))

Rob and Amy said...

I was doing really well reading this and blinking the tears away- although I cannot fathom what you are going through. You have a way with words Alyssa...and man- reading the very last section of having the tubes tied is what broke the dam. So I sit here now, Chili on the stove, husband downstairs building a computer (WHAT!?!? I know......) and I pray. I silently cry and I pray that the Lord wraps you---WRAPS you in His mighty arms tonight and for the many many nights and days to come and brings you a peace and Faith that only He can bring.

AW said...

I am overwhelmed with emotion for you in this chaos. Lyssa, I don't even know what to pray for. So I pray that God just give you what you need...whatever that is. I wish I could be there.

((((hugs))))

Unknown said...

praying that the next two weeks goes by smoothly. Praying for comfort, safety, guidance in decisions and most importantly, a healty baby boy.

I can't imagine what you've been through and how you feel. My heart aches for your sweet Sydney but is joyful in knowing that Henry Adam will be here soon! He is Sovereign!!

boltefamily said...

So much I want to say to you, yet none of it makes this easier!I love you and am praying constantly.

courtney said...

hi alyssa--i've been following your blogs for a while. i can't even imagine your roller coaster of emotions. i'll be praying for peace and calmness for you--i know the next couple of weeks will be hard in the hospital.

amy said...

love you. thanks for letting me be a part of this all. i feel helpless alot, but embarassing you in front of your nurses by making your room look like its ready for a fall women's luncheon certainly helped. oh and thanks for telling me where to put things. :) cuz you ARE the true martha.

A said...

Man, :( I hate that you are hurting- Alyssa. I have to fight back the tears each time I read you posts. I cant even imagine the pain you have experienced these past few years. I am Praying for you and will check back every day for updates :)

Laura said...

Please know that I will keep you and your baby in my prayers.
- Laura, mother of 3

AngelMommy said...

I am not on the computer much these days, but I am with you often in thoughts and prayers. Love you!

Unknown said...

Thank you for your honesty. I sure do love you.

Sometimes I wonder if the longing for more children isn't a deep-seated desire just to have your lost child here with you again. I wonder about that in myself.

I love you!

Emily said...

Praying for you tonight. May God continue to deepen your faith as you wait. Thank you for sharing your journey.

redbyrd said...

you know rach..i wonder the same thing. had a really really great convo with my sweet doc today about tying my tubes...he is so great...lucky to have someone like him who also can talk with me about spiritual issues..very encouraging. talked later with ian....realized then that no new addition after this would even make our family complete..bc it will never feel complete..not w/o her here..with her gone, there will always be a hole...

Mark's Mommy said...

Thank you for this post...I understand much of what you feel. We lost our 2 year old son last August and I am expecting our 4th daughter in 4 weeks.

I know the bittersweet connection of the intense grief of missing my son so badly that I can hardly make it through the day, while embracing the new joy of our next child. There are days that I feel so guilty because I just want my son back instead of being on the road that we are on. I wonder if his death was just terrible accident that didn't have to happen, or if God took him as a part of His Purposes. I still can't believe that he is gone.

It is frustrating when people think that a new child will somehow replace the one that was lost. That can and will never happen. I wish that everyone understood how difficult it really is to try and move on with life and the newness that God brings, while still longing to go back to the way things used to be.

Every day is a struggle in my grief and I ache for my sweet boy that was so full of love. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and heartache. I will pray for you and your health and the health of little Henry and all of the decisions that you and your husband must face.



God bless you.

Angie Zurovec
www.missingmarkallen@blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Oh Lyssa...I haven't been here for a while - I 'lost' myself obsessively in the blogging world in the months after Jenna left us, and I have pulled away recently just to regain some balance in how I spend my time.

But I love your heart, girl. I LOVE how honest you are with God. I know he loves it too. :-)

Praying for you, and for Henry.

Just this week I was thrown into a situation that sparked many memories. It was so bittersweet. A friend from another country was visiting and his little almost-three year old was soooo like Jenna in her mannerisms and her ability to charm everyone. Jenna just had 'something', I can't explain it, but this little girl had that same x-factor too.

It was so difficult. I wanted to lap it all up, stare at the little girl, soak in her hugs and kisses, and remember Jenna...but at the same time it was breaking my heart. I cried more tears this week than I have cried in a long time.

All that to say, I know that being at the hospital, and eventually holding Henry, will bring back a flood of memories. Some good, some sad. All of them making you miss Sydney more.

I'm praying for you, and sending big fat HUGS!