Tuesday, February 26, 2008

one of those days.

i am having one of those days. haven't felt well. haven't felt right. achy and cold and so tired. unmotivated and lethargic. awoke to liam screaming for ian and kicking the wall in his bed. tried to clean a bit and listen to music but stayed in cozies until 3pm in which i finally dressed us both and went outside so liam could play in the sunshine and ride his bike in the cul-de-sac. only, when i finally try to get it together enough just to walk to the mailbox around the corner with liam i want to run back inside. the day feels too overwhelming to be "exposed". but for liam's sake, we stay outside because he wants to play with the kids across the street that are out riding bikes. only, when we come outside it is as if the light has come on and the cockroaches scatter. this seems to happen around us in our cul-de-sac ever since our d-day. no one has said anything to us. no one wants to talk to us or approach us. they ignore us and act as if we are invisible. they all know us. they knew we were expecting. they knew it was a girl. they watched me grow and grow and grow. they obviously see my swollen tummy is no more and there is no baby in our arms or our car or with us on walks. let's say, they just think we already had her. why aren't they asking about her or wanting to see her? surely they know something went terribly wrong. my mom even talked to one set of neighbors and told them what happened. but still, are people that uncomfortable with confrontation or are they that selfish and cruel? i even heard a little girl, say this afternoon "look, there is alyssa and liam.." and her grandmother ignored me anyway. the other kids and their mom retreated into their house and liam was left sitting on his bike alone in the middle of the cul-de-sac. please tell me you feel my pain as i sat there on the curb in tears watching my son sit alone and kick the dirt. no sister or sibling to play with. and now, no one in the neighborhood wants to talk to the "lepers"....i heard someone at our grief meeting use that term about ourselves like that at times but never have i felt that so much as today...i hurt more for liam than i did myself. me-i wanted to scream and cuss and yell them all into uncomfortable confrontation. but i sat there and watched liam ride around by himself and felt my heart get harder and more bitter again. i felt it retreating again, not wanting to share it with anyone at all. still, it feels like i am living hour to hour, still-even 3 months later. finally we went to the backyard where liam at least had some toys to play with and we sat on the swing together and ate 4-5 clementines. (if anyone wants to sign us up to a clementine bag a month club like the jellies of the month club, liam would gladly eat the whole bag. we go through 3 bags in one month i think.) i finally talked to a good friend on the east coast who cheered me up and liam and i ate dinner and gave emmett his medicine. i just hate days like this when you feel defeated before you even stepped foot out of bed. luckily, liam's laughter is carrying me through the evening and i can't wait to go to sleep and try it again tomorrow. at least, i get to try it again another day.

8 comments:

Gram said...

some may not know what to say; others, for a fact i know, think only of themselves and do not possess the compassion and tenderness that God graciously blessed you with. i think God will move you in more ways than one. He wants you to be surrounded with community - people who reach out and love their neighbors. people who share the joys and trials with each other. yes, in our society it is sometimes hard to find but He will move you from a desolate, heartless environment to a place of comfort and genuine christian love. i just know it. i love you, m^m and i am using great restraint.

The Shupe's said...

I wish we could've been neighbors today. And even though I only know you through this blog and our common faith in God the Father, I would have sought you out today. And i would have sat with you.Maybe not having all the "right words" but I would have just "been there."
My husband and I are having trouble conceiving..and I can't tell you how many times i've felt like this. I am praying for you...

Anonymous said...

Don't be confused on who is inadequate or lacking in this type of situation. It's the cockroaches. It's times like these that make us mothers want to whip some serious butt. Or, at least give a lesson in courtesy. Although whipping butt would be more satisfying.

Gram said...

oh kathy.........you have the words. always. i love you and how you love my daughter! jan

Amanda said...

i love Phil Wickham. His words are beautiful. I'm glad they are soothing to your soul.
i too, wish i could have been your neighbor. i would gladly let you scream and cry and i would listen. and i would've helped you whip some butt. I pray you find some Grace and Peace today.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed every moment on the phone with you. Thank you. I miss you so very much, and i think of Ian, Liam and you so often. Great friends are rare and special and that is you. Love you.

AW said...

I'm so sorry. I know it's not quite the same, but the exact same "ignoring" happened with us when we miscarried. Someone in leadership at our church decided it would be best if we were "left alone" and instructed everyone to not contact us.

WHAT?!?!?!

So for weeks, we didn't hear from anyone. AT OUR CHURCH! I was furious. And heartbroken. Never so lonely in my life. I don't have family in town. None of them even knew we were pregnant to begin with. All of our friends at church did. And for two whole weeks, even our closest friends didn't reach out to us because someone gave them some very bad advice. It makes me think twice about giving such advice to people. We all need different things in painful situations. While being left alone might have worked for that couple in leadership, obviously did not work for me. I felt completely abandoned.

I have learned since then that some people just don't have the where-with-all to reach out. It's those people that I try to meet half way. Help them to understand that I'm not a leper. I'm the same ol' Andi. I can't expect them to "get it". They just won't. But I've also learned that no matter the circumstances I MUST reach out to others in their pain, even if I've never experienced that situation. Yes, it's awkward and I don't know what to say and there is nothing I can do to make the pain go away. But that's okay. We are to help each other carry our burdens. Even if it's just for 5 minutes...it's 5 minutes that I was able to relieve someone.

Anonymous said...

I am sort of passive aggressive in such situations. I'd be tempted to make a giant sign for the yard saying, "Don't worry, it's not catching."

Although I'm sure it's hard to start that conversation. "I see you're not pregnant anymore, what happened?" If they don't know what happened, they might not have any idea how to approach the situation even if they've guessed.